You’ve probably heard of the keto diet by now. It’s been all the rage for the past few years, with people touting its ability to help you lose weight quickly. But what is the keto diet, really? And is it right for you? Let’s take a look at the do’s and don’ts of the keto diet so you can make an informed decision.
What is the Keto Diet?
In short, the keto diet is a high fat, low carb diet. It works by putting your body into a state of ketosis, which is when your body burns fat for energy instead of carbs. This process is usually achieved by eating a diet that consists of 60-75% fat, 15-30% protein, and 5-10% carbs.
What is Ketoacidosis?
Ketoacidosis can occur when people following a ketogenic diet consume too few carbs. When this happens, the body breaks down fat for energy, which produces chemicals called ketones. This could become a serious medical condition if left unchecked.
So how do you know if you're at risk for ketoacidosis? Unfortunately, there are no symptoms until the condition has already progressed to a dangerous level. That's why it's important to be aware of the risk factors for ketoacidosis and to get checked out by a doctor if you think you may be at risk.
Risk Factors for Ketoacidosis
There are several risk factors for ketoacidosis, including:
-Type 1 diabetes
-Type 2 diabetes
-Excessive alcohol consumption
-Certain medications (such as steroids)
-Illness (such as cancer or infection)
- Research before you start – As with any diet or lifestyle change, it’s important to do your research before you jump in. The keto diet may not be right for everyone, so it’s important to understand how it works and what the possible risks are before you start.
- Work with a doctor or nutritionist – This isn’t a “fad diet” that you can just try out on your own. The keto diet should be approached as a serious lifestyle change, which is why working with a doctor or nutritionist is key. They can help you develop a plan that fits your individual needs and ensure that you are doing it in a safe and healthy way.
- Count your macros – In order to be successful on the keto diet, you need to count your macronutrients (fat, protein, carbs) to ensure that you are within the correct range. This may seem daunting at first, but there are plenty of apps and online resources that can make it easier. Once you get in the habit of counting macros, it will become second nature.
- Be prepared – One of the hardest parts of starting any new diet is being prepared. With the keto diet, this means stocking your pantry with keto-friendly foods and snacks, meal prepping ahead of time, and having a plan for when you inevitably have to eat out. If you can do all of this, you’ll be well on your way to success.
- Obsess over numbers – Yes, counting macros is important for success on the keto diet. However, that doesn’t mean that you should obsess over every little number. If you miss a day or go over your macros sometimes, don’t stress about it too much. Just get back on track and move forward.
- Skip meals – Just because you’re trying to cut down on carbs doesn’t mean that you should skip meals altogether. Eating regularly will help keep your energy levels up and prevent overeating later in the day.
- Underestimate portion sizes – When cutting carbs, many people make the mistake of underestimating portion sizes. Just because something is low carb doesn’t mean that you can eat as much as you want! Be mindful of portion sizes and always listen to your body when it comes to hunger cues.
Millions of people are trying the ketogenic diet to lose weight and improve their health, and you can too when you have done your research.
Get this free 7 day keto meal plan to help you to follow a safe proven keto diet with delicious recipes that will help you lose weight fast.
You don’t have to deprive yourself of flavor or feel hungry on this diet – every recipe in this plan is quick and easy to make, and they’re all guaranteed to taste delicious. Plus, you’ll get all the nutritional information you need so you can stay on track with your goals.
Get started on your journey by downloading this free 7 day keto meal plan: